The Billington Group is rooted in family heritage with over 150 years of trading experience. Here's just a snapshot of our story so far...

1842

This letter was sent by John Billington to his son Edward on the occasion of his taking up an apprenticeship in Liverpool.

The original letter remains in Cunard Building.

1858

Edward Billington began trading as a tea and coffee importer, but within a few years was also importing sugar.

1864

The company moves to Liverpool, operating over a period of time from a number of locations before settling its headquarters at its current location in the famous waterfront Cunard Building in 1959.

1877

John Billington, Sugar 1877 – 1920, Chairman 1891 – 1930

1898

The rapid growth of the business prompts a decision to make the firm a limited company.

1902

The manufacture of cattle food started around 1902. A mill was established in the old bedstead manufacturing factory of Billington Brothers on Great Homer Street in 1903.

1915

During the pre-war, wartime, inter-war and post war period, the company steadily expanded both by organic growth and acquisitions of new business.

1928

Criddle purchased their first Sentinel tractor affectionately nicknamed locally as “the crab”. This steam tractor is now housed the Museum of Liverpool Life.

1930

Edward Billington Sugar/Chairman 1930- 1970

1940

Central Tin Packaging was set up in Liverpool and continued until being sold to its management in 2008.

1959

The company set up headquarters at its current location on the famous Liverpool waterfront at Cunard Building

1960

The Ellesmere Port mill, previously owned by Ranks, was used for the manufacture of animal feed until 1978

1961

A meat division was set up and traded initially as Thomas, Swain and Whiteley. The division was closed in 2000.

1963

Pat Whiteley, Agriculture/Meat Director 1963-1994, Vice Chairman 1963-1994

1964

The company moved into the travel sector, with Wise Travel on Allerton Road, Liverpool. It remained involved in travel until 2005.

1970

John Billington, Sugar Director 1960, Chairman 1970 - 2000

1977

First import of Mauritian unrefined brown sugars by Edward Billington (Sugar) Limited.

1980

Opening of a purpose built Billington Sugar packing factory in Ipswich.

1996

Formation of the Billington Food Group to more accurately reflect the diverse activities of this division. The division was sold to British Sugar in 2004.

1997

English Provender Company was bought by the Group. Founded by John and Ann Curwin making jams, condiments and chutneys.

1998

Formation of Carrs Billington joint venture

Billington Agriculture and Carrs Agriculture formed a joint manufacturing company Carrs Billington Agriculture in response to the shrinking dairy feed market.

2000

The company acquired Classic Couverture, a chocolate manufacturing company it owned until 2006.

2001

Edward Billington and Son Ltd took a 55% stake in Wholesome Sweeteners alongside Imperial Sugar in the US who owned 45%. Over the next 10 years the company grew from $4m to $120m to become the leading supplier of organics and fair trade sugars, honey and agave in the US.

2004

Opening of newly purpose built English Provender Company factory in Newbury.

2005

The company had acquired Suffolk Foods in 2004, a manufacturer of mayonnaise and sauces to the food manufacturing and food service sectors, incorporated in 2005 into English Provender Company.

2007

The company acquired Alembic Products Limited in Chester, a manufacturer of sauces and dressings to the food service and food manufacturing sectors, later incorporated into English Provender Company.

2008

Billington Bioenergy began trading. As a supplier and distributor of high quality wood pellets.

2012

The group completed the biggest deal in its history with the sale of 23.53% of Wholesome Sweeteners to Arlon Food and Agriculture Partners, retaining a 26.46% stake.

2012

The company acquired Bar Foods, a manufacturer and supplier of soups, sauces and recipe dishes to the UK’s Foodservice and manufacturing industries. A very significant acquisition in the Group's history.

2013

Billington Food Ingredients was established in 2013 to source and supply individually quick frozen (IQF) fruit and vegetables to the food manufacturing sector.

2014

In January of 2014 the Group acquired TSC Foods. A North Lincolnshire based supplier of frozen and chilled soups and sauces to the Retail, Food Service and B2B market places. This is the Billington Groups largest acquisition to date.

2015

The Group agreed the sale of Billington Bioenergy to Drax Group plc, which is a world leader in sourcing and providing sustainable, renewable power from field and forest to customer.

2015

As of 1st December 2015, The Group have agreed the sale of our grain trading business to Nidera, one of the major international grain companies.

2016

The Billington Group is pleased to announce the acquisition of Dunkleys with effect from 20th September 2016.

Dunkleys is one of the UK's oldest, family owned food manufacturers and have a heritage of supplying pies, recipe dish and desserts into the UK Foodservice market.

The Billington Group

HISTORY AND HERITAGE

Criddle & Co Ltd

0151 243 9003

2nd Floor, Cunard Building, Liverpool, L3 1EL

  • googlePlaces

Copyright 2016 by Criddle & Co Ltd.