By 1959 the company relocated the Liverpool Mill to a much larger site in Ellesmere Port, which at its peak manufactured 50,000 tonnes of animal feed per annum. However, the company had started to gain a large number of customers in the Lake District area and the reality was that supplying this region from the Ellesmere Port site wasn’t financially viable long term. As a result, a joint venture was established with Burgess Feeds of Walton-le-Dale and a new mill trading under the name Criddle Burgess Feeds Ltd was established with the opening of the Carlisle Mill in 1970.
Criddle & Co, wholly owned by Edward Billington & Son Ltd, was solely responsible for the sourcing of the raw materials whilst Criddle Burgess, jointly owned by Burgess Feeds, was the manufacturer. Criddle & Co Ltd was and still is based in the Cunard Building in Liverpool, this has been the home of Edward Billington & Son Ltd since 1959.
The partnership and early establishment of the country mill gave the company considerable advantage when membership of the Common Market changed the UK agricultural sector. Large increases in the availability of locally grown grains and feed ingredients ended the necessity for portside production. Another mill in Stone, Staffordshire was quickly established along with Anglesey, Oswestry (Shropshire), Glazebury (Cheshire) and Tetbury (Gloucestershire). The Ellesmere Port Mill was eventually closed in 1978.
The imposition of milk quotas in 1984 had a huge impact on the agricultural industry as a whole. The massive reduction in outputs that this caused, led to mass consolidation in the animal feed sector, with many large players exiting the market. Bucking the trend Criddle Burgess rationalised their operations by selling off smaller mills and increasing the capacity of their operations in both Stone and Carlisle.